Australia aka Straya mate ~ The trip of my life

I have been surfing for nine years now and the first thing someone asks me when they find out I surf is 'oh you must have been to Australia then?!' Well actually its thousands of miles away on the other side of the World so its quite hard to get to when your from a little town on the South West coast of Wales. However I understand peoples perception with Australia and surfing considering that Australia has the highest percentage of professional surfers on the ASP tour. Along side that all the endless string of Legends and champions that Australia has produced. When you consider that I thought maybe its worth checking out to see why its such a special country. To challenge and discover both new ways to improve my own surfing and also develop new skills as a surf coach.

After the season in France and the winter starting to close in, its a good time to look for warmer waters. As Australia is on the side of the hemisphere and actually starting to come into summer I decided to head over. I managed to land a job in  surf school on the East Coast, along side that two WQS (World qualifying series) events will take part there to start the 2013 tour off I think its a good place to be.

Australia did not disappoint I think its been The trip of my life. Travelling from Noosa the most beautiful National Park, world class famous waves on the gold coast, to small coves such as Emeralds beach, where all the cliches come true... Wild kangaroo's on the path to the surf spots. Big spiders chilling on your board when your carrying it and giving you a fright, if all your used to is a daddy long legs. And views and sunsets of the land scape that are indescribably and breath taking.

Emerald Beach.....



Huntsman spider

Snapperrocks- I have all these pictures below from Kieron Douglass, a fellow pommy but he has lived there so long you wouldn't tell the difference. If your ever on the Goldy he is keen photographer look him up... https://www.facebook.com/photographybykieron1.

This is where I spent most of my time when I was in Oz. There are numerous right hand point breaks long the same stretch of coast. For example you have Snapper Rocks, Green Mount and Kirra that all join up and on the real good days its possible to get a wave through right the way down the point. Its no surprise they hold the Quicksilver Pro here every year to kick start the CT. Some of the best waves I have ever seen is at Kirra!



Open your eyes and look around....

Green mount just after Quicky pro
 

Byron Bay...





As well as the amazing waves and weather in Australia, I got to meet and hang out with some of the most inspirational people and surfers in the world.

Every one at surfing services was so nice, it was amazing working and learn from the crew. And we where even privlidged with a few visits from Parko world champ. And on one occation surfed with the Ozzie all star football team. http://www.redbull.com/en/surfing/stories/1331582091215/21days-mick-fanning-and-joel-Parkinson

 
 
All the girls I look up to, respect and learn from as a surfer. The CT and WQS crew that are snapping at their heals. I got to hang out with some people I feel privileged to meet let alone become friends with. Good times where had..... I love Australia!
 




Popular Posts