ISA World Surfing Games Biarritz 2017


   



I’m 5 Times Welsh National Champion and former British Champion. I competed on World Qualifying Series 2011/12/13 as a self funded athlete. Having a day job as a surf instructor, working in bar at night and trying to train for competition just wasn’t sustainable with out a financial sponsor and moved back to Wales, where I got my dream job as Water Operations Manager at Surf Snowdonia, the first commercial Wave garden in the World. I have since been free surfing and training the last few years. Having a full time job has definitely effected my surf time, however, the wave count and riding time has allowed me to practise my manoeuvres. I’m surfing better than ever now I’m living in the mountains of North Wales.




After 3 years off competing and the announcement of surfing being in 2020 Olympics I’m looking forwards to start competing internationally again. This year I hope to participate in both the ISA World Surfing Games & ISA European champs in Norway. The Last international competition I competed in was Europe Surf 2013 in the Azores where I just missed out on making the final with 5th Place finish. I want to make the final this year!

It is amazing to be part of Wales National Surf Team and the first ever team at the senior World surfing games. The ISA have commented 'record amount of participants' and this is the first World surf games in Europe in 9 years. Mi-post & Billabong have sponsored some team kit. We are currently all self funded athlete's.



My fellow team mates are;
Manager- Stuart Bentley, Hue John
Men- Mark Vaughn, Harry Cromwell, Rob Blyth and Ryan Thomas
Women- Jo Dennison, Emily Williams

Travel
We all made our way to the airport from all different parts of Wales. Spirits are high in the team & we are so happy that the competition will be held in France. I have spent a lot of time around the area and thoroughly enjoy the surf and culture.

Our big rivals are in the same flight so the physic out begins. Some frequent visitors to Surf Snowdonia though so just friendly banter exchanged with Ruben and brother Joss Ash, Jayce Robinson and Surf Snowdonia UK pro surf tour champion, Luke Dillon. Unfortunately for her Peony Knight was sandwiched between Harry & myself so we got all the scoop on her WQS stories this year.






The opening parade

Biarritz itself is so beautiful and cultured. Walking through the streets of this surfing city was incredible, the buzz and the vibes of both excited participants and a welcoming local crowd was a welcome reception. No photo or words can describe this experience and going on stage to fly the Welsh flag was an honour.






Competition Day

If your new to following surf competitions, in a nutshell you have a 20 minute heat with 4 competitors. You can catch a maximum for 12 waves, however only your top 2 waves count. Each wave gets a mark out of 10 from a panel of judges.  There is a priority rule, kind of like an off side rule in football, to make it possible for the competitors to each have the opportunity to catch a wave.




I was in heat 6 with Pauline Ado (World surf league professional surfer) up and coming surfing from England Ellie Turner an Italian surfer. Conditions were big and stormy and I didn’t manage to catch any ‘good waves’, just a few short rides. Pauline Ado showed her experience and ran away with the heat and there was just disable places in between 2nd 3rd and 4th. The first round is a non elimination round, so you go into the repechage round for another chance to get into round two.





Again conditions where tough with dead low tide close outs. I managed to snag a couple to take the heat win to progress into round two. Very happy to make it to make it though for another chance actually surf a good heat and put out some good surfing.




It breaks my heart to say I have to withdraw from the competition. Whilst warming up I just over stretched and my shoulder come out of the socket. I have had a dislocation before, 6 years ago, whilst surfing so just an old injury. I work hard to try and keep strong with strength and conditioning via crossfit. So it was really unexpected. I told the medics 'put it back in now so I can make my heat', but they wisely said no. Competitive sport is really frustrating but it seems I still hate to be defeated even by my own body. I hope that determination with help me recover in time to make it to Norway for the European championships this September.

Massive thank you for everyone that followed my progress. Knowing everyone at home is rooting for you makes a massive difference. Well done also to Emily Williams who surfed really well in her heats but was up against some of the worlds best. Time to fly the flag for the Men’s Welsh open surfers. It is an honour to be part of this close team and we wear the Dragon with pride. Come on!!


Popular Posts