BPSA CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS SRI LANKA 2010

The UK Pro Surf Tour returned to Sri Lanka in July this year for the “Sri Lanka Champion of Champions Surf Contest” at Arugam Bay. All of the best surfers on the UK pro surf tour get invited to compete on a right hand point break and this year the girls get to go!!!




It wasn’t until the week before that any one new the competition was on, so it was all last minute. I was really excited and couldn’t believe that I would be going on a trip with rippers like Alan Stokes, Oli Adams, Matt Capel and Reubyn Ash. After the gruelling plane, bus journey and an overnight stay we arrived to warm water and pumping surf. However you do get to see some wild life through the nature reserve.



We had a few days to surf and get used to the waves. I must thank my room mate Nicole Morgan for giving me a kick in the morning for those downy seasons. It was so cool free surfing with everyone stand outs for me where Stuart Campbell and Toby Donachie ones to watch in the future.



I also did a day trip with Johnny Fryer, Alan Stokes, Nicole Morgan, Sarah Bentley, and Celine Gehret. It was great to see a bit of sri lanka and ended up in a remote little village. We rocked up at this spot, all the local villagers came to say hello and we surfed a spot empty line up that reminded me of Morocco!! Epic day surfing watched Alan pull into a mantle barrel and make it and Johnny smacking it on his back hand.



The comp didn’t go so well for me, but it was great to see two welsh girls in the final Beth claiming the title despite Gwen’s efforts. The highest scoring wave of the day was from Alan Stokes, which got a 9.50 point wave in the semi’s and then lead him into the man on man final against Reubin Pearce. Alan went onto to win this year’s Open! I can’t wait to go on the next one.


A few free surfing shots...................


Jo Dennison




Raine Jackson
Gwen Sperlock
Reubin Ash floater, with girlies Nicole and Sarah cheaking it out.

Popular Posts